plywood, MDF, enamel paint
dimensions 8'-0"w x 12'-5"h x 3'0"d, each wall
The Art Walls are an installation by Margo Sawyer, designed in concert with architects Page Sutherland Page. The new house, located in Santa Fe, NM, features several other material innovations such as colored rammed earth walls.
Our role in the Art Walls was mostly technical. The joint vision of the artist and architect was paramount. From the outside surface, as draw by Margo, my job was 90% of the painted panels, and everything behind them. Margo provided the remaining 10% of the panels, metal with intense coloration.
Discussions started a year before implementation. At such an early stage in the process, I was able to plan effectively and to strategize the best possible outcome. The tolerences to the ceiling, fireplace, and ductwork were very precise. The panels facing the kitchen are operable cabinets. We fabricated in Austin,and installed in Santa Fe.
"Terra", a cement based plaster
Two layers of cement based plaster in the living room/media room.
Venetian plaster (natural/non-synthetic) on the column and cove moulding. Mica powders, iridescent artist paint and clear water based medium.
Venetian Plaster above column and on crown cove. Painted Mother of Pearl finish on dining room walls.
Metal leaf and paint
"The Ring of Life" in the Big EZ lodge, Big Sky, MT. Painting of local landscape and wildlife images over Dutch metal leaf.
Kewzinga, tamo, quilted maple, steel, mahogany
dimensions 78"h. x 46"w. x 14"d.
Shuffle started as a cabinet with doors. I found I didn't like hiding the most dynamic part that the shelves provide. That was the piece initiated the design in the first place. It's the first component in what I hoped would be an office suite of furiture based on "an earthquake in wine country." It didn't come to pass but I still enjoy this piece as much as anything I've done.
wood- painted white
dimensions 3'0" x 6"8" x12"
made for RE
A Niche at the end of the hall way- which was another room disguised behind ....the niche - an inset in the wall to display sculpture.
Solid maple door frames with plywood case work and Accuride drawer hardware, Baltic Birch Drawers, with very thick gloss black sprayed enamel paint
dimensions 30"D x 60"W
made for Clayton Morgan
The client requested a Period Style "Eastlake" vanity for a white marble bathroom.
Eastlake was a purveyor of popular opinion in matters of style and taste in the early 19th Century.
His influence in regards to decorative elements elevated the cultural tastes of the time.
The antique model shown was created about 50 years after Eastlake's popularity ended.